"Been a Long Lonely, Lonely, Lonely, Lonely, Lonely Time"

Sorry, dear loyal blog readers, for the long delay in posts...almost a month! Chalk it up to my lame love of using trite song lyrics for captions or lack of progress. Your choice :-)


Things are moving along. We've had some unpredictable weather of late, so our project has crept along accordingly. After a bit of a "come to Jesus" meeting with our pool builders, things seem to be back on track and moving along at a little more of a clip.

With Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Lost Tile behind us, things are nearing completion. We're so close we can almost taste it. Of course, the last mile will probably be the longest, with many loose ends to tie up.

All of the tile is now done. On the left is a pic of the negative edge wall coming together (and the beautiful La Wiferina). The picture definitely doesn't do the clear iridescent glass brick tile justice! I'm so glad we were unable to find non-iridescent tile. We looked high and low and couldn't come up with anything that would work and I think we'll be more happy with the result. After much deliberation on tile for the negative edge spa, our pool builders persuaded us to go with the blue glass tile. Once the midnight blue plaster goes in, I think it's going to look awesome. Right now, it looks a little naked with the plain gray concrete as contrast.


6 comments:

Matt Stevens January 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

These last set of pictures really give me a sense of how this is going to come together. I really like the tile, especially the blue tile! I worked on a large salt water pool project about 2 years ago where we clad the walls in a Lueders Limestone and it has held up great thus far. Look forward to following the remainder of this project.

- Matt

El Duderino January 28, 2009 at 2:57 PM  

Matt, thanks for the kind words. Our pool builders are firm believers that any natural stone should be sealed, salt or no salt. Once sealed, they should all withstand the salt. I've seen many examples of pools in service for years, all with salt, and all in good shape. Like anything, I think it is always important to keep the chemicals in check or you'll have problems.

Dave Hawa January 29, 2009 at 4:13 PM  

This pool is coming togeather very very nicely! The design is great, it appears that you have a multi-tier pool were one overflows into the other... I like it. Will you have limestone in this pool or is it on the decking/surroundings? Are you going to run salt or cholrine.

Tiling that is very tedious; they appear to be doing a great job.

I can't see the picture too well... but are there two drains in that spa?!

El Duderino January 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

Dave, there are two anti-vortex drains in the spa. The stone is Leuders Stone, which is a deeper harder version of limestone. It comes from quaries here in Central TX and is commonly being used to counter some of the historic issues with salt/limestone. We are aware of the risk, and will have it sealed upfront and maintain the sealant as needed. We've seen many pools in service with salt and similar stone without the ill effects you often hear about.

Rose Maria September 22, 2015 at 2:03 AM  

My pool builder no longer returns phone calls. His wife (soon to be ex) told us that he was arrested recently, but I've been unable to confirm this. We aren't out any money as we've only paid for service completed, but it looks like other builders are reluctant to finish the job or even look at it unless he releases us from his contract. What do I do next? How can I find out if he really was arrested or contact him? Is there anyway for me to get a list of his other clients to maybe file suit against him?
commercial swimming pool restoration

Anonymous January 23, 2016 at 7:42 AM  

Post is very informative,It helped me with great information so I really believe you will do much better in the future.
residential swimming pool designs

About Me

My photo
Austin, TX, United States
I'm the dude, so like, thats what you call me, duder, his dudeness, or el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. I was, uh, one of the authors of the Port Huron Statement. The original Port Huron Statement. Not the compromised second draft. And then I, uh...Ever hear of the Seattle Seven? That was me...and six other guys. I deal in publishing, entertainment, political advocacy, and...Seriously? Besides living vicariously through Big Lebowski movie quotes, I am currently being raised by two boys, aged 10.5 and 2.5. And please, don't underestimate the importance of those .5's! I have one remaining dog and one wonderful wife. I am down to only one house and one job, so life is good. In addition to pretending to be a satirist blogger, retired/aspiring(?) musician, I am responsible for millions of dollars worth of ones and zeros being sold around this great nation. I am politically conservative, yet not politically correct. I am not looking for new friends, and like to keep my religious views to myself. If you want to know more about me, you have issues and should seek help!