"Looking For Water"

The pool started filling up yesterday at 5:23 pm CST and completed this morning just before 9:00 am.


Based on my very rough meter reading, it was right at 64 kilowatt hours. Yes, that's right, I read the electric meter. Guess we'll never know how many gallons the pool is. A (much) smarter man than me could probably figure out the GPM of the water and calculate based on the time. But that's obviously above me, since I wasn't sharp enough to even read the right meter.

Here is the picture before filling. My only advice is if you ever decide to use Midnight Blue Diamond Brite, try not to be around during the day of actual plastering.







La Wiferina, testing out the bar stools as the pool fills. Watching a pool fill is close cousins with watching paint dry. So, it helps to add some adult beverages to the process.







Here are the after pictures. There is still a long way to go before the true color emerges, but this change from yesterday is enough to allay my fears! With this type of plaster, it is imperative to brush the pool down twice a day for 7-10 days until the blue dust stops coming off during brushing. This exposes the quartz aggregate and will bring out the true color of the plaster. For this job, I've enlisted the help of the Wall Whale, an inexpensive product that gets universal praise for taking most of the work out of brushing.


Even with the rest of the yard in complete disaray, having some non-earthtone color in the yard and water is calming.


2 comments:

El Duderino March 14, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

Turns out per the salt reading, we were able to determine that the pool/spa/basin is actually 24,000 gallons.

Gotta love science!

Matt Stevens April 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

Turned out really nice...I would have guessed more than 24,000 gallons. Have you been swimming yet?

About Me

My photo
Austin, TX, United States
I'm the dude, so like, thats what you call me, duder, his dudeness, or el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. I was, uh, one of the authors of the Port Huron Statement. The original Port Huron Statement. Not the compromised second draft. And then I, uh...Ever hear of the Seattle Seven? That was me...and six other guys. I deal in publishing, entertainment, political advocacy, and...Seriously? Besides living vicariously through Big Lebowski movie quotes, I am currently being raised by two boys, aged 10.5 and 2.5. And please, don't underestimate the importance of those .5's! I have one remaining dog and one wonderful wife. I am down to only one house and one job, so life is good. In addition to pretending to be a satirist blogger, retired/aspiring(?) musician, I am responsible for millions of dollars worth of ones and zeros being sold around this great nation. I am politically conservative, yet not politically correct. I am not looking for new friends, and like to keep my religious views to myself. If you want to know more about me, you have issues and should seek help!