"Tangled Up In Blue"

Our pool saga officially began on October 6th...pretty much 5 months ago to the day.


While there are a million loose ends until completion, technically, we have a pool. If you concur with the American Heritage Dictionary definition of a swimming pool being "a structure, often a concrete-lined excavation of rectangular shape, that is filled with water and used for swimming" then I think we could say we're done.

Today our pool was plastered. The one decision that we didn't belabor was this one, and as the play-doh like material started coming out of the tube this morning, La Wiferina and I looked at ourselves in disbelief. We have seen several live examples of pools done in "Midnight Blue" Diamond Brite, and both agreed on the color. However, as we saw it for the first time, we both unanimously started to second guess this decision.


As the day progressed, we came to the conclusion that white plaster or any color would probably look a little strange in it's wet state, and given the fact that the acid wash was yet to be done and the aggregate exposed, we relaxed a little. Our pool builders assured us that they had checked our blue glass tile with the Midnight Blue plaster and it looked good, but we have never seen it with our own eyes. Once the acid wash took place and it was wet, we began to see what it's really going to look like and are very happy. As we speak, it's dark and the pool is filling up so no completed pics yet...will add them tomorrow.

We still have the final details to be completed. The final decking needs to be formed and poured (over the plumbing), gas line hooked up, and the fire pit completed. Then we can get the irrigation back together and our yard back. I can't tell you how ready we are to be done with tracking in sand and dirt!

Can't wait until the weather warms up a bit and we can actually start using this bad boy. I stated in my original post that I would wait until the end to decide if I should advertise or blast my pool builder. Even though the pool itself is pretty much completed, I will save that decision and diatribe for another day.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, TX, United States
I'm the dude, so like, thats what you call me, duder, his dudeness, or el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. I was, uh, one of the authors of the Port Huron Statement. The original Port Huron Statement. Not the compromised second draft. And then I, uh...Ever hear of the Seattle Seven? That was me...and six other guys. I deal in publishing, entertainment, political advocacy, and...Seriously? Besides living vicariously through Big Lebowski movie quotes, I am currently being raised by two boys, aged 10.5 and 2.5. And please, don't underestimate the importance of those .5's! I have one remaining dog and one wonderful wife. I am down to only one house and one job, so life is good. In addition to pretending to be a satirist blogger, retired/aspiring(?) musician, I am responsible for millions of dollars worth of ones and zeros being sold around this great nation. I am politically conservative, yet not politically correct. I am not looking for new friends, and like to keep my religious views to myself. If you want to know more about me, you have issues and should seek help!